John McCain is someone who makes conservatives heads spin.
- He has served his country honorably and is a genuine war hero yet was involved in the Keating five scandal.
- He has both supported and opposed Amnesty
- He has opposed tax cuts but has done Yeoman Work on Earmarks
- He constantly was used by the media to hit George Bush yet was the single most important supporter of the surge when the country needed him. It is fair to say that without his support the war in Iraq might have been lost.
- And most of all, he refused to attack candidate Obama and supported bailouts….Yet not only did he bring Sarah Palin on the ticket he steadfastly has stood by her; To Wit:
On CNN’s State of the Union this morning, host Candy Crowley asked Senator John McCain what he thought of Sarah Palin’s recent firestorm of media attention — her new book, new reality show, and all the other publicity she has been receiving recently. When Crowley asked if McCain felt Palin might be divisive, he responded: “A guy named Ronald Reagan used to be viewed as divisive.”
“She’s doing a great job. I think she’s motivated our base,” McCain added. “She had a positive impact on the last election, and I’m proud of her.”
McCain’s loyalty to Palin is not unexpected. He was a prisoner of war, he understands loyalty, he also knows that Sarah Palin took a lot of heat from the right for supporting him this time around and he hasn’t forgotten that.
I know some might laugh at this but I’d say John McCain has done three great services for the country that we can never repay:
- He fought from the front when he didn’t have to and showed bravery in captivity
- He supported the surge when he knew the media would have stood behind him and lionized him for opposing it. His actions took bravery and saved the future of millions in Iraqis
- He introduced Sarah Palin to the national stage at exactly the right time. If Obamacare is repealed in the new congress or in 2012 it will be because she fought when others did not and helped rally the conservative base. Without the McCain selection this would not have been possible.
I will still hit McCain when I think he is wrong but I will never forget this and neither should you.