Ya gotta love someone who is honorable like Neal McDonough…

Posted: April 1, 2010 by datechguy in catholic
Tags: , , , , ,

…who actually lives his religion:

when he was suddenly replaced with David James Elliott 3 days into the filming on ABC’s new series Scoundrels earlier this week, there had to be a story behind the story. The move was officially explained as a casting change. But, in fact, McDonough was sacked because of his refusal to do some heated love scenes with babelicious star (and Botox pitchwoman) Virginia Madsen. The reason? He’s a family man and a Catholic, and he’s always made it clear that he won’t do sex scenes.

According to the article this is costing him as much as $1 million dollars. There are plenty of men who would happily do heated love scenes with Virginia Madsen for nothing, but some people just can’t be bought.

Gawker makes an interesting point:

I don’t know about Hollywood, but in the real world, being fired for refusing to take your shirt off and make out with someone is called sexual harassment!

In case you don’t know who he is:

And this is the woman he turned down:

I tip my fedora to him.

Update: Fancast calls him the “anti-tiger

Comments
  1. Cousin Sam says:

    “…..being fired for refusing to take your shirt off and make out with someone is called sexual harassment!….”

    Not if you work in the Porn Industry. And I challenge anyone to explain to me the difference between Big Hollywood and the Porn Industry. Near as I can tell, they merged back sometime in the early 90s.

    I now have more respect for Neal McDonough than for the entire rest of Big Hollywood combined.

  2. Awww! :)

    Maybe I’m a total prude, but I really hate watching a lot of movies because of the gratuitous sex scenes. It’s not like we have to pretend that everyone in movies is perfectly celibate, but whatever happened to the idea of having a man and a woman kiss, snuggle, and then close the bedroom door? Why on earth does anyone want to watch?

  3. Big Hollywood movies aren’t on Cinemax at 2am, thats the difference.

  4. Cousin Sam says:

    So, the difference is better production quality (lighting, etc.)? As far as I can recall that being the primary difference between 2am Cinemax and 10pm Showtime, the amount of explicit sex scenes being about the same. Of course, I could be out of date, it’s been many years since I’ve had cable TV, but I suspect the difference between the two has lessened rather than grown.

    I think, technically, Roxanne, you’re only considered a total prude if you object to the non-gratuitous sex scenes. Yes, it is possible for there to be such a thing, if it is really required by the plot of the movie and makes sense in context. I suspect this is the case about 0.01% of the time, the other 99.99% being gratuitous. From what I can tell, usually the entire movie is written and filmed first, then after the fact a special sex-scene-editor goes through and randomly says “OK, we need to add a sex scene here, here, and also here. I don’t care if it actually fits in with the rest of the plot. Also, this scene where the two main characters meet at the lawyers office to discuss the will – re-film that to have them meet at a strip club instead, that way we can show pole dancers an the background while they’re talking”. At least, that’s how I’m guessing it works.

  5. Cousin Sam says:

    As many times as we’ve used the phrase “sex scene” in these comments, you should get a bunch of extra Google hits on this post!