Continuing my posts on the tech services I offer. This page will be permanently linked at the tech services link to the right.
The setup service is used to get a new computer started on the right foot, here are the details….
So you have a new system, maybe the grandchildren picked it up for you or you finally decided to give Vista a try. Did you buy a system for your parents or grandparents and they need help getting it started? Let DaTechGuy help you get it all set up.
What I will do:
* I will take control of your system
* I will clean out temp files
* I will increase your virtual memory
* I will install an anti-virus if you already have one or install a free one if you don’t
* I will tweak your Internet Explorer for better protection and efficiency
* I will run system updates
* I will INFORM you if I see signs of a virus’ or spyware on your system
* I will if necessary install a secondary browser
* I will configure your e-mail program
* I will if you provide the dvd’s create the recovery dvd’s for your system if it has that option
* I will install up to two other programs for you if you have the disks for them
* I will on request download a word processor for you.
* I will setup multiple accounts and parental protection at your request
* If you have already backed up files from an old system to a hard drive or thumb drive I will move the files to the new system
* I will attempt to install a local usb printer and will set it up for sharing if you wish
What I won’t do:
* I won’t clean your system of virus’ I have a different service for that
* I won’t backup your system with this service.
* I won’t install service Packs.
* I won’t network your system (I will shortly offer a separate network service)
* I won’t install printers or faxes on a network
If you system meets the following minimums then I can help you if it does not then I can’t.
A high speed internet connect (DSL or better) that is working
A Microsoft based computer running windows Vista
Who is DaTechGuy and why should I give him my money or let him in my system?
A am a computer technician from central Massachusetts. I’ve been doing working with computers since programming or support for 20 years. I was one of the original (took the first call) techs at a company called HiWired , which did tech support for Ctrl-Center, Comcast and several other companies. In November 2008 we were all let go so I’m striking out on my own for now.
How are you going to connect to my system?
I will be using a piece of licensed software called LogMeIn Rescue to allow the connection between our systems. Your keyboard and mouse will become my keyboard and mouse and I will do the work as if I was in front of your PC?
How will we start the initial connection?
After receiving payment I will contact you to arrange a time to start the connection via either a code or an e-mail.
What if I can’t get my system connected to yours?
If I can’t establish the connection then I’ll refund you
How long will it take?
It depends on the services you want. If I just do the basic stuff likely under an hour if I setup multiple accounts a printer and move files for you maybe 2-3 hours.
What if I lose my connection?
The system should re-connect automatically if it doesn’t after a period of time I’ll give you a call or e-mail to arrange to re-connect.
How will I know when you are done?
I will leave a note on your system or send you an e-mail to that effect.
Do I need to be in front of my system the whole time?
Nope but you are welcome to watch.
What do you mean by “free anti virus”?
Several companies offer a “home” version of anti-virus free to the general public, they have less features than the full blown ones but will do the trick. If you don’t have one of your own that is what goes on.
Does having an anti-virus mean I won’t get a virus?
Good thing I was not drinking when you asked. Absolutely not, risky user behavior, teenagers, and fraud are the primary causes of infection.
Hey I’m thinking of buying a PC for my mother or grandmother, can I buy this as a gift?
Sure, contact me and we will setup the details.
What if I have any questions that you haven’t answered here?
Can i use my computer while You’re working on it?